Whole of Syria Environment and Climate Change Program Officer @ Amman - Jordan
- Post Date:July 10, 2021
- Views 83
Position Type: Full-Time
Organization Type: NGO/Civil Society
Experience Level: 0-2 Years
Degree Required: Advanced Degree (Master’s or JD)
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 14 million beneficiaries.
Since 2012, ACTED has been implementing projects with vulnerable communities in Syria with a two-fold approach: ACTED provides life-saving support to vulnerable displaced persons, returnees, and host communities across Syria, through multi-sectorial rapid emergency services, and implements a wide range of resilience building interventions. Thus, ACTED has been able to strengthen its links with Syrian local communities and to develop an in-depth knowledge of local dynamics. A team of 900+ is currently working in Syria.
You will be in charge of
1. Greening of ACTED’s Programming
- Support on strategy, systems, approaches, tools, and materials for “green programming” in the WASH and FSL sectors in Syria
- Based on data from the carbon footprint, draft clear recommendations for carbon emission reductions in WASH and FSL portfolio and support their implementation and reporting
- Develop a simple methodology and indicators to allow for tracking of progress related to greening of the portfolio, building on existing tools
- Propose minimum environmental programming standards, per type of intervention, in accordance with relevant ACTED WASH and FSL technical guidelines and standards, including promoting and advocating for the use of existing guidelines and guidance materials on environmental safeguarding
- Explore innovative green programming opportunities and/or solutions, e.g. related to carbon credits, offsetting schemes, etc.
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and informs project planning and decision making
2. Technical feasibility studies
- Participate in and lead specific sections of technical feasibility studies as part of piloting new innovations within existing WASH and FSL programming. This can be internal, as well as feeding into external studies conducted with the Working Groups, Clusters and / or partners.
- Support with drafting the required assessment tools, conduct analysis and draft technical reports.
3. Networking, Positioning and Fundraising
- At the local and regional level, identify key partners / stakeholders working on environmental issues and establish potential collaboration mechanisms
- Draft internal position papers on greening ACTED’s programming as well as on environmental programming in the region.
- In close cooperation with the Project Development Department, support in ensuring that donor environmental requirements are met in proposals
- Support with summarising technical reports into factsheets / advocacy notes
- Participate in environmental conferences/climate workshops – external as well as internal, as requested by line manager
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by line manager
Expected skills and qualifications
- Master’s degree in water management, pollution management, environmental resources management, environmental / social science (with a specialisation in environment, environmental economics, energy policy or similar relevant subject).
- Previous experience working with Green Climate Fund, UNFCCC or UNDP projects will be considered an asset
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in private, public or NGO sector related to safeguarding assessment, environmental sustainability, water resources management, biodiversity conservation and management, project implementation and capacity building
- Experience in the humanitarian and / or development sector is highly desired
- Oral and written professional proficiency in English, Arabic is an asset
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances
How to apply
Please send your application (resume and cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Related Jobs (16)
Senior Hydraulic Modeler – Water Networks @ Saudi Arabia on July 10, 2021 Full Time
Sudan nationals WASH Project Manager @ South Kordofan – Sudan on July 10, 2021 Full Time
Senior Advisor, WASH Monitoring & Evaluation and Research on April 9, 2021 Full Time
Sub-national WASH Sector Coordinator @ North East Syria on April 5, 2021 Consultancy