WASH Program Manager @ Raqqa - Syria
- Post Date:March 20, 2021
- Views 398
- Job number: SRH04192
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Syria
- Contract Type: Short term contract
- Experience Level: 3-4 Years
- Degree Required: Bachelor’s (Or Equivalent)
About the mission
Desired start date: 15/05/2021
Duration of the mission: 9 months (according to funding – with possible extension)
Location: Raqqa – North Est Syria
Solidarites International (SI) has been working in Syria since 2012. The mission counts about 260 national staff, more than 40 expatriates, and has a 25 million USD budget forecasted for 2021. There are 3 implementing offices in Syria (2 in North East Syria/NES, 1 in North West Syria/NWS) with the coordination based in Amman – Jordan.
The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations.
Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
Syria mission is dedicated to work in areas recently opened (in 2017 in Raqqa) and in challenging contexts. A turn from lifesaving activities to more post-emergency/development has also been undertaken.
In Ar-Raqqa Governorate, main current activities are related to:
- Lifesaving: Wash – emergency package in IDPs settlements, distribution of NFIs and cash for vulnerable populations, COVID Response (WASH in Health, distributions).
- More sustainable activities: individuals’ houses rehabilitations, institutional rehabilitations and support: Water stations rehabilitations, capacity building of the Water Department, rehabilitation of schools.
- Additionally, SI has a contingency and capacity to respond to emergencies in all NES.
About the job
- Ensure Project Management with updated workplans and data bases
- Manage, monitor and capacity build the WASH Team
- Contribute to strategic developments and keep working on technical alternatives to switch from a pure emergency response setup to a more ER and sustainable assistance
- Ensure budget management of the department, with several grants under the WASH PM’s responsibilities
- Ensure elaboration of procurement plan and anticipate purchases request
- Liaise with partners and sectorial working groups
- Develop and scale up the water bacteriological and chemical analysis in the lab.
The main challenges:
- Challenging environment of intervention with security constraints
- Important budgets volume and follow up management
- High level of activities to monitor, develop and of data bases management
- High level of internal and external reporting
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Build on pilots put in place to identify possible orientations in order to exit from a pure emergency response setup and be strong asset with regards to proposing new activities or modalities (desludging management, waste management, small water network fixings, cash for work modalities to replace contractors-managed activities, etc)
- Support the technical challenges and new internal HR organization brought by such changes
- Support the review of a more innovative HP approach
The Wash Program manager is under the direct management of the Field Coordinator.
S/he manages 2 Deputy PM and have the overall responsibilities over a team of around 30 persons (water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion teams).
Current approximate budget under responsibility: 830K USD with OFDA, ECHO, CDCD grants.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, with a specialty in water or sanitation management
- Minimum 3 years with INGO and in WASH-focused humanitarian program management
- Previous experience in team management
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, preferably with experience in supporting emergency response
- Previous experience with SI being a plus.
- Small-scaled Civil engineering
- Water analysis
- Knowledge of Solidarités’ rules, tools and procedures is a plus
- Very comfortable with standard MS Office software, AutoCad, Kobo, Mapping tools, Power BI a plus.
Soft skills and spirit:
- Respect/compliance of security rules
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to cultural habits and towards changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
- Team player, capacity to give a positive dynamic
- Acceptance towards being challenged by skilled national staff
- Strong management and training/capacity-building skills
- Solid organizational and communication skills
Language: Fluency in English (Speaking, Reading, Writing) mandatory
SI will offer you
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 1980 euros gross per month) and valorization according to experience (+100€/year of humanitarian experience on an equivalent position and +50€/year of humanitarian experience on a non-equivalent position)
and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Accommodation will be in SI Guesthouse in Raqqa. Living conditions are simple but highly improved with few opportunities and places to socialize.
Security inside NES is overall volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and displacements in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary, while the security levels can vary according to the different geographical locations and the changes of context.
Over the last period due to covid restrictions and challenges (some quarantine in particular), expats have been spending some time in Erbil (Iraq).
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Related Jobs (42)
Water Transfer Project – Head of Development Algeria on April 19, 2022 Consultancy Full Time
Wastewater Treatment Technician (Dammam, Eastern, Saudi Arabia) on July 27, 2021 Full Time
Resident Engineer – Micro tunnel @ Abu Dhabi – UAE on July 13, 2021 Full Time