Senior Advisor, WASH Monitoring & Evaluation and Research
- Post Date:April 9, 2021
- Views 403
Experience Level: 10+ Years
Degree Required: Advanced Degree (Master’s or JD)
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Senior Advisor WASH DME & Research will provide global leadership for World Vision’s monitoring, evaluation, and research in the WASH sector across the Partnership, in order to improve effectiveness, impact and quality of programming and advocacy.
There will be 6 Senior Advisors, one for each of the six sectors prioritized by World Vision: Child Protection, Education, Health, Livelihoods, Nutrition, and Water/Sanitation/Hygiene (WASH).
The Senior Advisor WASH is responsible for setting world-class global WASH sector M&E standards, strengthening capability in sector M&E, and leading the development of sector M&E guidance and tools in collaboration with other sectors and the global DME team. The position also provides global coordination and oversight for all research in WASH across the WV Partnership, in collaboration with the global Evidence Building Team.
The Senior Advisor will report to the Technical Director, Quality & Innovation, WASH, with a strong matrix relationship to the global DME team. The Senior Advisor will function as an active member of both the global DME team and the global sector team.
Technical Leadership for Sector Monitoring and Evaluation:
Lead or contribute to development of sector:
- theories of change
- logframes, including indicators
- M&E framework
- M&E tools
- global metrics to monitor strategic priorities and quality of interventions
Lead continuous improvement of WASH sector M&E based on ongoing review of internal and external industry standard indicators and measurement tools
Provide technical support to project model development/refinement focusing on development of standards for: M&E logframe, standard measurement indicators, beneficiary definition, M&E plan, minimum quality standards and their measurement tools and processes including implementation fidelity and key processes during use of PMs.
Review and advise the Implementation Quality Assurance (IQA) tools for project models.
Support scale-up the use of high-quality formative research tools (e.g., BA, TIPS).
Develop/design implementation research proposals/protocols based on WV’s global standards.
Support development of tools and methodology for deep dive review of project model or sector approach in one country to ascertain quality /impact).
Provide sector-specific leadership and technical input into DME guidance and materials:
Provide WASH sector expertise for the development of WV global DME standards, practices, and tools.
Provide technical input to DME team for sector specific TP design, baseline, monitoring and evaluation capacity building for RO and NO staff.
Develop user-friendly guidance for sector-specific DM&E measurement tools. Guidance may include specifics about:
- How and when to measure with the sector-specific tool
- Sampling and sample size calculations
- Demonstrating statistically-significant change
- QA/QI and data integrity
- Ethical guidance
- Accurate counting of beneficiary numbers
Review and revise sector-specific root cause analysis toolkits for developing and fragile contexts.
Provide technical input into LEAP 3 guidance and provide feedback into revisions from the global sector teams.
Sectoral M&E Capability Strengthening:
- Work with DME team, Sector teams and TSO to develop sector-specific DME competencies and training/development materials.
- Facilitate capacity building of the TSO staff, SO staff, and other key stakeholders in M&E and research and in utilization of data for project planning and management.
Collaborate with the Evidence Building team to support organization-wide strategic data analysis to enhance evidence-based decision making.
Ensure alignment and support quality data for strategic reporting mechanisms, such as the Global CWB Report, Global Impact Framework, OP 2030 Strategy Dashboard and Strategic Initiatives, Sector Dashboards, Global (It Takes a World) Campaign. This includes:
- Contributing to design of reporting process, including user-friendly guidance to NOs.
- Aligning system indicators with data being collected by NOs and existing systems where possible.
- Advising and overseeing methods of ensuring accurate recording/reporting.
- Data analysis and quality assurance checks. Collaborate with TSO and Global sectors teams on the analysis and writing of global reports, including the global CWB reports.
Provide WASH M&E technical expertise and approval of all sector indicators in Horizon:
- Collaborate with the Evidence Building team to add new sector indicators, and review and approve NO indicators for the sector.
- Provide technical input for defining, reporting, storage and analysis of sector monitoring and evaluation indicators in Horizon.
- Create easy-to-use resources for TSO and NOs of the indicators for each project model.
- Align WV’s sector indicators to industry best practice and the global SDGs.
Research and Evidence Building:
- Provide leadership for the development and implementation of a global WASH sector research plan, including an evidence building plan for core and emerging project models, liaising closely with the Evidence Building team in alignment with the Global Evidence Agenda and following WV Partnership research standards and protocols.
- Provide technical leadership and coordination for WASH sector research implemented by WV or in collaboration with external academic and other partners.
- Work with the sector team to ensure utilization of research findings and recommendations.
- In collaboration with the Evidence Building team, lead the documentation, publication, and internal/external dissemination of sector research, including publishing in peer reviewed journals.
Networking and External Representation in M&E and Research at the Global Level:
- Build networks with academic and other research institutions, UN and NGO forums to learn about developments in sector DME and research approaches, seek partnerships to benefit WV and share evidence and learning from WV programming.
- Participate in external forums to represent and present World Vision sector M&E and Research Evidence approaches.
- Prepare presentations for WV leaders to share at key events.
- Publish M&E papers in appropriate journals to disseminate WV’s work.
- Provide M&E and research technical input for grant acquisition as needed.
- Provide M&E and research technical support to TSO service requests from NOs.
- Collaborate with SO staff to utilize programming indicators and articulate evidence of impact for marketing use.
- Explore and support mobile solutions to data collection.
- Other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Masters Degree or PhD in measurement, research and evaluation.
- Ten years practical experience in conducting and leading WASH sector programme-related M&E and Research.
- Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative evaluation and research skills.
- Experience in developing monitoring and evaluation systems (including indicators, instruments, and methodologies), for sector programmes.
- Experience in building technical M&E capacity.
- Experience working in development or humanitarian industry.
- Ability to communicate cross-culturally.
- Advanced skills in use of quantitative data analysis software – SPSS, STATA, SAS etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English; language skills in Spanish and/or French preferred.
- Demonstrated Christian commitment and maturity, and commitment to World Vision’s vision, mission and core values.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years practical experience in sector programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation capacity building.
- Excellent understanding and skills in WASH sector measurement sampling and sample size estimation, and determining significance of results.
- Understanding of WV sector programming, development approach and global partnership strategy.
- Experience using and building capacity to use information technology for data collection/processing.
- Experience publishing in peer review journals.
- Experience leading evaluation and research teams.
- Experience collaborating with external partners on DME and research activities.
- Experience making intellectual/academic presentations in international forums.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time.
Related Jobs (17)
Senior Hydraulic Modeler – Water Networks @ Saudi Arabia on July 10, 2021 Full Time
Sudan nationals WASH Project Manager @ South Kordofan – Sudan on July 10, 2021 Full Time
Sub-national WASH Sector Coordinator @ North East Syria on April 5, 2021 Consultancy