Project Field Engineer @ Egypt
- Post Date:February 26, 2021
- Views 179
The Enhancing Climate Change Adaptation in the North Coast and Nile Delta Regions in Egypt Project (ECCADP) aims at supporting the adaptation efforts of Egypt in the North coast and in particular the Nile Delta which is identified by the IPCC in its Fourth Assessment Report as one of the world’s three “extreme” vulnerable.
The objective of the project is to reduce coastal flooding risks in Egypt’s North Coast due to the combination of projected sea level rise and more frequent and intense extreme storm events. Output 1 focuses on constructing 69 km of sand dune dikes at five vulnerable hotspots within the Nile Delta that were identified during an engineering scoping assessment and technical feasibility study. Output 2 focuses on the development of an Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) plan for the entire North Coast, to manage long-term climate change risks and provide Egypt with adaptability to impending flood risks.
The project will facilitate transformational change in the short-term by reducing coastal flooding threats along vulnerable hotspots in the Delta and in the long-term by integrating additional risks of climate change into coastal management and planning, budgeting and implementation of risk reduction measures. The Project is implemented by the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation in collaboration with UNDP and is funded from the Green Climate Fund (GCF). The project is managed by a Project Management Unit (PMU) which is led by the executive project manager and includes staff assisting the manager in carrying the various management tasks.
The project seeks to recruit a field engineer to work within the PMU.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the full supervision of the Project Manager and oversight of the Water Resources and Irrigation and UNDP, the field engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead and supervise the construction of the soft/hard coastal protection at all project sites.
- Conduct frequent visits to the project sites and other sites if required to follow and monitor construction of protection works and other related activities.
- Prepare work plans for project outputs and activities.
- Supervise and support the project consultants, in particular, site verifiers for all project outputs/activities.
- Prepare daily/weekly/monthly reports on the construction progress at all project sites activities and report any risks that may delay the progress to the project manager with measures to mitigate those risks.
- Ensure that all environmental and social safeguards which are required by GCF and the national regulations are implemented at all project sites.
- Supervise and support the development of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) studies at all project sites and other related sites.
- Provide technical support to the project procurement and consultative processes, workshops, and other meetings to be organized as part of the project outputs and activities including, but not limited to, preparation of Terms of References (ToR), briefing notes, background papers; presentations; and assisting national and/or international experts or consultants in performing their assignment.
- Prepare all required document and make all necessary arrangement to facilitate the work of the project steering and executive committees.
- Represent and promote the Project in national and international arenas as required and maintain close continued collaboration with development partners relevant to the Project.
- Provide insight and guidance to the Project Management Unit (PMU) on all matters pertaining to the smooth operation of the project outputs and activities.
- Provide support to the Project Manager in identifying and recruiting motivated and competent staff, formulating their responsibilities as well as appraising their performance.
- Assist the project manager and staff in carrying out other relevant project work as required.
- Ensure successful completion of the project in accordance with the stated outcomes and performance indicators summarized in the project’s logframe matrix and within the planned schedule and budget:
- Ensure implementation of, and compliance with the GCF and UNDP gender policy.
- Monitor performance of the grievance mechanism, prepare quarterly reports of grievances mechanism based on sex and age, and if possible, disability- disaggregated data.
- Advise Project Manager on the early signs of grievance issues and exert utmost effort to contain problems before they escalate.
- Provide timely strategic advice and creative solutions for dealing with construction issues to, for example, project staff, partners and consultants.
- Ensure full compliance with the UNDP and GCF branding policy.
- Perform other related duties to his position as required.
- Maintain work confidentiality at all times.
- Able to work under minimal supervision and be proactive and innovative.
- Take charge of self-development and be initiative.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Strong research and strategic analysis skills.
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national environment.
- Effective time management skills, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with a wide range of individuals and institutions.
- Good understanding of the local communities’ background and respect culture issues and traditions.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to make prompt appropriate actions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A university degree in engineering or other relevant disciplines.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience in the area shore protection and coastal zone management or other relevant projects.
- Previous work experience with similar projects, in particular with international agencies, is strongly recommended.
- Familiarity and prior experience with UNDP requirements and procedures is considered as an asset.
- Demonstrated experience and success in the engagement of and working with government counterparts and the private sector.
- Ability and demonstrated success to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate people in a complex environment and achieve set goals.
- Proven ability to think strategically, express ideas clearly and concisely, work both independently and in teams, and demonstrate self-confidence combined with sensitivity to gender and culture.
- Knowledge of institutions at national and local levels would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic languages
- Hands on experience in the use of computers and office software packages.
Contract Duration and Renewal:
The assignment will be for 12 months with a 6-month probation period. It may be extended according to the project implementation requirements and individual performance.
Please submit your application and a recent CV on a P11 form that can be obtained from the link above with any relevant material and at least three references specifying the title of the post “Project Field Engineer”. To the below email:
Dr Mohamed Ahmed
Vacancy notice issued on Feb. 16, 2021.
Deadline for application is Feb. 27, 2021.
Related Jobs (51)
Wastewater Treatment Technician (Dammam, Eastern, Saudi Arabia) on July 27, 2021 Full Time
Resident Engineer – Micro tunnel @ Abu Dhabi – UAE on July 13, 2021 Full Time