Libya nationals Field water and GIS specialist (NPC)
- Post Date:March 16, 2021
- Views 322
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is implementing a project entitled “Monitoring, evaluation and rationalization of water use for Agriculture Sector in Libya” within the framework of the Regional Water Scarcity Initiative of FAO in Near East and North Africa region. The project will help to build a collaborative framework between the General Water Authority and all its national partners to exchange data, systems and expertise for improving current data collection, monitoring and analysis in order to derive more timely and accurate information on agricultural water use indicators at national level (crops, irrigated, rainfed, areas, quantity of used water).
The field water and GIS specialist will be placed under the overall Supervision of the Head of Office, FAO Representation in Libya and the technical supervision of the Land and Water Officer for North Africa (SNE), Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) and in close collaboration with the project coordinator and the national operations officer.
The field water and GIS specialist will be responsible, in coordination with the national and local implementing partner(s), of the implementation and the quality delivery of the project field activities including field surveys and national coordination mechanism.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The field water and GIS specialist will perform the following tasks:
- support the set-up and management of the project national technical, managerial, and administrative activities in collaboration with the project coordinator ;
- Formulate the detailed work plan for the project field activities including field surveys planning and national coordination mechanism and contribute to the update of the project implementation plan.
- Ensure the national coordination of the project and the timely and quality implementation of the field works;
- be responsible, in coordination with the national and local implementing partner(s), for the timely preparation and submission of monthly and quarterly Project Progress Reports to reflect all activities implemented compared with the work plan;
- Conduct desk review of the status and trend of water uses in agriculture and the use of GIS and RS technology in water and agriculture management in Libya, identify key players at national and local level with the focus on Fezzan region.
- Contribute to the identification of project national team required for field surveys and project sustainability.
- Contribute to the development of detailed questionnaire for field surveys and training material for survey teams.
- Provide training and coaching to the national and local multidisciplinary teams involved in field surveys.
- Convene the meetings of the national Project Steering committee (PSC), chaired by the Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Agriculture or his designated alternate and act as a Secretary for the PSC, i.e. contribute to the organization of meetings, hold responsibility for the timely compilation, clearance by all concerned parties and distribution of the PSC minutes of meetings;
- Provide recommendations for possibly required corrective measures during the implementation phase, and lessons learned and national follow-up actions upon evaluation at the project closure.
- Conduct, at the end of the project, in collaboration with FAO, an assessment of the results achieved by the project and present proposal(s) for follow-up by the Government; and contribute to the preparation of the project progress and final reports.
- liaise with the FAO office in Libya for the coordination with the selected implementing partner(s);
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Advanced university degree (Masters’ degree or equivalent degree) in agronomy, water, or agriculture-economy, information systems in agriculture or related field.
At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in Remote Sensing and GIS in water and agriculture fields.
National of Libya or a resident with a regular work permit;
Excellent skills of English and Arabic.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement