Iraq nationals Irrigation Engineer @ Baghdad - Iraq
- Post Date:July 10, 2021
- Views 68
Position Type: Full-Time
Organization Type: International Organization
Experience Level: 5-7 Years
Degree Required: Bachelor’s (Or Equivalent)
Languages Required: English and Arabic
FAO’s office for Iraq is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing, and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture, and rural development priorities under Iraq CPF 2018-2022. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR in Iraq, the selected candidate will operate under the direct supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (CFI) and of the Senior Water Management Specialist and will work in close coordination with the other team members. As National Irrigation Engineer and member of the Project Formulation Team, she/he will provide – among other – data, technical drawings and maps related to the existing irrigation and drainage system of project areas as well as data, information and references related to water management and water rights in project areas. In details, you will undertake the following tasks:
Natural resources management, rehabilitation of water infrastructure, water resources management, irrigation, drainage and farm water management
Tasks and responsibilities
- Based on available literature review and data from national and local institutions, collect the hydrological models for project areas relevant for the irrigation modernization aimed by the project. While developing the above models and estimates you will ensure to incorporate climate change scenarios in hydrological modeling to assess how estimations would change.
- In collaboration with the Senior Water Management Expert, prepare a water balance for project areas relevant for the irrigation modernization aimed by the project. This will include: (I) the identification of the physical and hydrometeorological variables needed; (II) the estimate of crop water requirements, water demand, and the hydric potential of the project areas; and (iii) the estimate of water balance / water deficit in project areas.
- In collaboration with the Senior Water Management Expert, prepare a preliminary design of planned infrastructures inclusive of: (i) primarily evaluation of existing information about the targeted irrigation schemes; (ii) up to date topographic, photogrammetric images and maps to be used for preparation of the design; (iii) the basis of design criteria; (iv) the proposed technology and preliminary technical specifications; (v) the operation and maintenance requirements; and (vi) cost estimates and a timeline for construction work;
- In collaboration with the Senior Water Management Expert, prepare a preliminary design of planned infrastructures inclusive of: (i) the proposed technology and preliminary technical specifications; (ii) the operation and maintenance requirements and a timeline for construction and maintenance.
- In collaboration with the Senior Water Management Expert and the Remote Sensing and GIS expert, prepare precise maps indicating the areas that will be interested by the modernization of the irrigation network ensuring to show clearly the positive impacts obtained (e.g., additional water, increased number of hectares served with additional water, number of communities affected by the investment);
- Contribute to the preparation of the various project’s elements including: (i) the Theory of Change; (ii) the Log frame; and (iii) all the other parts/annexes of the full funding proposal package.
- Participate in meetings, workshops and webinars related to the preparation of the full funding proposal package. When meeting individually ensure the recording and/or the redaction of minutes of meetings to be included in Annex 7 (Summary of Consultations and Engagement Plan);
- Participate the FAO and GCF review process and ensure the appropriate revision of all documents related to the submission package (full funding proposal plus annexes);
- Undertake any other relevant task as agreed with the lead technical officer and the project formulator.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Education: University degree in water resources management, irrigation, agronomy, or related disciplines.
- Experience: At least 7 years professional experience, with specific experience in project implementation and demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and of the local language of Arabic. Knowledge of Kurdish is an advantage.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and writing.
- Iraqi National.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas clearly and effectively, and to analyze and communicate technical topics and data.
- Maturity and ability to work in a team in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to operate effectively under pressure, rapidly perform situations assessments and respond quickly and affectedly as required.
- Possess computer skills with good working knowledge of database creation, PowerPoint production, word processing & spread sheet applications.
- Organized, and able to work independently and for long hours (sometimes unscheduled).
- Excellent communications skill, both orally and in writing.
- Courtesy, tact, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
Related Jobs (4)
Senior Hydraulic Modeler – Water Networks @ Saudi Arabia on July 10, 2021 Full Time
Shelter & WASH Project Manager – Syria Response Office on February 10, 2021 Full Time