Integrated Water Resources Management Expert @ Tunis, Tunisia
- Post Date:March 26, 2021
- Views 377
The Sahara and Sahel Observatory (OSS) is an international organization with an African vocation, created in 1992, and established in Tunis (Tunisia) since 2000. The OSS currently has 33 member states and 14 (international, sub-regional and non-governmental) member organizations. The OSS current area of action covers the hyper arid, arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid regions of the SahelSahara part of the African continent and covers an approximately 17.52 million km2 area, or 57% of the continent’s surface.
The OSS is a scientific and technical instrument, whose main mission is to support its African member countries in the integrated and coordinated management of their natural resources with particular attention to issues relating to water and land in a particularly disadvantageous climate change context.
It mainly aims to work with member states and organizations and to act as an initiator and facilitator of partnerships on the above-mentioned topics. The mission is based on knowledge transfer, capacity building and awareness raising of all stakeholders.
In its new ten-year (2021-2030) strategy, the OSS aims to strengthen its interventions in the Water sector. Then, it focuses on (i) a coordinated management of water as a key element in achieving water security and food security in a climate change context and (ii) consolidating regional cooperation for sustainable development. In conjunction with the other technical departments and bodies of the OSS, the Water Department is mainly responsible for the coordination and implementation of the organization’s mission in the water sector as defined in section 1 of its new 2030 strategy. The strategic objective of this section is to contribute to meeting the water needs of the Member States populations and to the sustainable management of water resources by placing water on top of international political agendas. The interventions scheduled under this Strategic Objective are based on four operational objectives as follows:
- Improve/strengthen knowledge of groundwater and surface water resources, especially shared water in the region;
- Contribute to the establishment of planning tools to meet the water needs of the populations in the short, medium and long terms;
- Encourage and support integrated and sustainable water resources management policies;
- Contribute to improving and sustaining the governance of shared water resources.
In order to carry out its mission, the Water Department develops and implements different projects addressing various topics related to water resources, together with member countries. A set of national and regional actions is currently being developed and many other actions will be formulated to better tackle the issues related to water resources management in Africa.
- JOB DEFINITION
Under the responsibility of the Water Department Coordinator, the expert will have to provide technical support for the implementation of the Department’s activities. In particular, he (she) will carry out the following activities:
Technical and analytical support
- Contribute to the development and analysis of different summary documents on water management in the OSS area of action;
- Supervise the consultants work, review and evaluate the deliverables provided and formulate recommendations for their improvements;
- Support water research projects;
- Evaluate technical-economic/prospective studies in integrated water resources management.
- Support the Department in reviewing projects and selecting bankable project documents;
- Contribute in the preparation of projects by developing concept notes and evaluation reports, and conducting due diligence missions;
- Undertake the documentary research necessary for the development of new concept notes;
- Initiate and support partnerships with the water and climate change sector funders;
- Support the call for project proposal process as needed.
- Carry out periodic updates of the assigned projects’ documents;
- Ensure the development of annual work plans, periodic progress reports of the assigned projects;
- Provide technical support for the organization of events, workshops and meetings and prepare related reports and notes;
- Support the achievement of in-the-field project monitoring missions;
- Collect reports and other project deliverables and make sure they are carried out in accordance with the contract or agreement;
- Support the monitoring of the different projects of the Department by proposing new guidelines stemming from the needs expressed at the national, sub-regional and international levels, particularly on the specific questions related to the development, governance of water resources in Africa, and to climate change adaptation;
- Contribute to capacity building, knowledge management and communication activities related to projects and activities of the Department.
Other activities of the Water Department
The expert will also participate in the execution and support of all other activities of the Water Department. This will include tasks related to technical expertise required for the needs of different projects. He/she will also support the OSS teams in order to promote inter-department synergies and the OSS day-to-day activities.
- PROFILE REQUIRED
Hold a minimum ‘Bachelor + 5’ higher education degree (Engineer or Master) in Water (Water Resources Management; Rural Engineering, etc.).
- At least 05 years of relevant professional experience in a national institution, an international organization;
- Proven experience in the management and valuation of water resources, specifically focused on the development and implementation of soil conservation, development and sustainable management of watersheds (WSC and SLWM) actions;
- Experience in the design and management of water resources management projects in developing countries;
- Good knowledge of financing mechanisms as well as the procedures of the main water and sustainable development sector funders;
- In-depth knowledge of water resources knowledge, planning and management tools;
- Experience in results-based management (RBM);
- Good knowledge of the OSS area of operation. Previous professional experience in one or more countries in the area would be an asset;
The applicant must meet the following conditions:
- Diplomacy, tact and professionalism; as part of his/her duties, the expert will have to interact with personalities from OSS member countries, decision-makers and development partners;
- Willing to work with people of different nationalities and cultures and to travel to the different countries of the OSS area of action;
- Enthusiastic and able to quickly learn new concepts and make initiatives;
- Able to take accurate and timely responsibilities;
- Team spirit and able to work under pressure;
- Structured and able to have a result-based planning;
- Open to change and flexible in a very dynamic environment;
- Able to effectively adapt approaches to follow changing circumstances or needs.
- Responsive and willing to share knowledge spontaneously;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as presentation skills;
- Strong analysis, summary and writing capacity;
- Command of English and French languages;
- Good knowledge of new information technologies and a perfect command of office software (word processing, messaging and Internet).
The net monthly remuneration ranges between 1800 and 2000 Euros taking into consideration the years of proven professional experience.
The OSS will bear the expert’s contributions to the OSS insurance. These insurances cover group risks of illness, invalidity, death, as well as individual insurance for personal accidents and travel insurance.
- PRESENTATION OF THE APPLICATION FILE AND SELECTION CRITERIA
The application file must necessarily include the following elements:
- A cover letter signed and addressed to the OSS Executive Secretary;
- The applicant detailed curriculum vitae according to the standard OSS CV template downloadable at the following link: [OSS CV Template];
- A copy of the diplomas;
- Copies of all other references deemed useful.
The attached table provides an overview of the applicant scoring system.
The selection process includes a file-based pre-selection phase and an oral interview phase. The shortlisted experts will have to sit for an oral interview.
The experts’ final ranking will be given after this interview.
- SUBMISSION AND DEADLINE
Applications must be sent by email to the following address: email@example.com
Applications sent by e-mail must bear the subject line: Call for applications: Integrated Water Resources Management Expert (OSS) [AC/OSS/DEPARTEAU_EXP-GIRE/090321-08]
Deadline: March 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (Tunis time).
Related Jobs (42)
Water Transfer Project – Head of Development Algeria on April 19, 2022 Consultancy Full Time
Wastewater Treatment Technician (Dammam, Eastern, Saudi Arabia) on July 27, 2021 Full Time
Resident Engineer – Micro tunnel @ Abu Dhabi – UAE on July 13, 2021 Full Time