Emergency Preparedness and Response (EP&R) WASH Program Manager @ Juba, South Sudan
- Post Date:March 23, 2021
- Views 35
- Job number: SRH04204
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: South Sudan
- Contract Type: Short term contract
About the mission
- Desired start date: 01/04/2021
- Duration of the mission: 8 months (renewable)
- Location: Juba, South Sudan
South Sudan protracted crises have left 7.5 million people in dire need of humanitarian assistance in 2020, despite the signature of the peace agreement.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL operates in South Sudan since 2006.
SI works at the response to urgent needs in water supply, hygiene and sanitation, food security and shelter as well as the prevention and response to outbreaks.
Its long lasting presence has contributed to build a wealth of experience in WASH and FSL assessments, implementation and accountability to beneficiaries.
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL main objectives are: an overall reduction of morbidity and mortality linked with water-borne diseases through the provision of sustainable access to safe water in vulnerable communities, and preparedness and response to acute multi-sectorial needs.
In Central Equatoria, SI contributes to the reduction of water borne diseases, especially cholera and preparedness to Ebola, in addition to the reduction of the prevalence of COVID-19 outbreak in multiple parts of Juba County
In Upper Nile, SI delivers critical WASH and FSL response to the most acute needs of conflict affected populations of Fashoda county with likely expansion into Manyo and Malakal counties.
In Jonglei, SI conducts multi-sectorial assessments and delivers emergency preparedness, water supply, emergency sanitation facilities, hygiene promotion and emergency WaSH/NFI in absence of other actors in a timely and semi-static emergency, in addition to a WASH response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Moreover, Improvement of the basic services, livelihood opportunities and resilience through multi-sectorial/integrated programs: in Western Bahr el-Ghazal, SI provides comprehensive emergency Health, Nutrition and WaSH services and integrated emergency FSL response to improve the nutrition status of host communities, displaced and returnees in Raja County, in consortium with a Health partner.
In Upper Nile, SI is looking for of a sustainable water supply solution while providing WASH and FSL services to support conflict affected populations of Fashoda County.
The mission has an Emergency Preparedness and Response programs.
This EPR program under ECHO is intended to be fully roving, with estimated budget for a minimum of 4 emergency assessments and 2 emergency responses of approximately 3 months each.
Activities to be implemented depend on field assessment of emergencies, but are expected to include:
- Water supply: Emergency repair of boreholes and/or set up of SWAT systems and/or distribution of emergency WASH NFI kits (including aquatab, PUR, and filter cloth)
- Hygiene Promotion: Emergency hygiene promotion and disitrbution of Hygiene and MHM kits.
- Sanitation: repair/construction of latrines in specific circumstances only (as defined by the WASH Cluster EPR strategy). Included under crisis modifier.
- Emergency Shelter-NFI distribution
- Emergency FSL distribution
As part of the ECHO consortium, SI is partnering with INTERSOS who will also provide Protection staff to accompany SI EPR team on all assessments and deployments to complement the basic needs response with emergency Protection activities.
Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs.
- 6 bases for now (Juba, Aburoc, Raja, Wau, Lankien, EP&R). Potential changes depending on emergency interventions
- 5 million EURO
- 11 expatriates
- 45 national staffs
About the job
- The EPR PM is under direct responsibility of the Program Coordinator.
- Manage the EPR team to plan and implement rapid emergency assessments and intervention
Role and responsibilities
- Strong coordination with other departments required, especially HR/Finance and Logistics.
- Responsible for Coordination with local authorities in absence of Field Coordinator position, in consultation with Coordination.
- Writing of rapid assessment reports and response TORs within a short time frame following emergency assessments.
- Improve EPR organization and mechanisms to reach the minimum deployment and response times expected in EPR/RRM mechanisms
- Develop SI EPR team as an EPR actor in FSL and SNFI
- Activities typically more basic but require rapid development and preparation to meet minimum response times. Key activities may include rehabilitation of boreholes, set up of SWAT systems, distributions, emergency hygiene promotion, and sometimes emergency latrines construction/repair. In case of disease outbreak or malnutrition crises, a WASH in Health component including water supply, sanitation, and Infection Prevention and Control may be included.
Priorities for the first 2 months:
- Recruit WASH PM Assistant and Multisector Officer
- Plan with INTERSOS the exact method of coordination and joint assessment/intervention and provide training to both teams on this.
- Prepare team and equipment for rapid assessment and mobilization
- Liaise with WASH Cluster on SI’s renewed EPR capacity
The main challenges:
Due to the nature of EPR work, the team can be deployed to insecure areas, or involve travel through insecure areas to reach targeted areas. A rapid security assessment is undertaken before every deployment, and the EPR PM is required to update the security assessment once on the field.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, water resources, emergency/crisis management or equivalent experience in WASH related project management or a relevant field.
- At least 2 years in humanitarian environments.
- 3 years of experience as Program Manager.
- Experience in protracted crisis context (being able to switch between short/medium/long term solutions)
- Previous experience in insecure and access-hindered environment required.
- Experience in working in South Sudan is a strong asset
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Good knowledge in MS Office package: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power point, Microsoft Outlook.
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required
- Arabic and/or French speaking is an asset
- Significant knowledge and experience of project cycle management
- Knowledge of the WASH sector with good technical knowledge
- Experience in NFI’s/WaSH distribution
- Knowledge on estimation and design of basic WaSH infrastructures (emergency pit latrines, SWAT, etc.)
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and support and/or fill multiple positions at one time
- Experience of external coordination with Cluster, other NGOs, local authorities, etc.
- Strong resilience and resistance to stress, difficult living and working conditions
- Commitment to the job and the organization
- Knowledge of WASH in health and public health an advantage
- Experience of emergency FSL and Shelter-NFI sectors an advantage
- Knowledge of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s field of expertise and specific tools would be a strong asset
- Ability to lead the process of program development
- Capacity to provide clear and well documented strategies
- Capacity in managing a multi-technical and multi-ethnic team.
- Capacity-building and training abilities and experience
- Good analytical skills and proactive, solution oriented approach to work
- Flexibility and adaptability to quick context/strategy changes
SI will offer you
A SALARIED POST:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs refunded.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Related Jobs (16)
WASH and Shelter Project Manager @ Gaza – Palestine on May 26, 2021 Full Time
Senior Advisor, WASH Monitoring & Evaluation and Research on April 9, 2021 Full Time
Sub-national WASH Sector Coordinator @ North East Syria on April 5, 2021 Consultancy